Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It All Started With This Guy


I was in the seventh grade. I lived in Charlottesville, Virginia. I loved playing basketball. Some guy named David Robinson playing for some team in Texas had this program called "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood." It was aimed at middle school students (me), had to do with basketball (which I loved), and pushed good performance in school and staying off drugs (which I valued). We even got a rookie card (which I foolishly did not take good care of). So I started watching this guy on this team. That was in 1989. In 1991, my parents told us we were moving to San Antonio where I spent all four years of high school.

David Robinson made the Spurs what they are today. I don't like them because they're good players, I like them because they're good people. They've developed into an amazing team, but they're all just good people who stand for something. David Robinson knew what it meant to be a role model. He didn't ask to be put there, but when he knew that's where he was, he did something good and positive about it.

For example, he visited our teeny-tiny little school on an army base and spoke to us. When he got married, he donated all the gifts and money sent by fans. He started the Carver Academy in San Antonio and has donated 9 million dollars. The charitable efforts award given by the NBA to NBA players has been named after him.

Does anybody remember when Dennis Rodman joined the Spurs? He lasted for an entire season. The fans hated him. He was an upstart, self-centered, attention-starved moron who didn't know what it was to be a team player or a good person. He was wearing the uniform, but he wasn't a Spur.

When the Spurs won their first NBA Championship in 1999, I cried a little. First, because I was happy, and second, because people were yelling about how it wasn't a real championship because the lockout that year had postponed the beginning of the season until February. I didn't care how long the season was, the Spurs were the best for the duration, so that't good enough for me and I'd say the same even if they hadn't won. I was mad at all the bitter fans out there trying to spoil things.

Then came the 2002-2003 season that ended David Robinson's career...with another championship. I cried a little more. What a great way to end a great career of a great guy.

Now it's all about this guy:


I'm not sure what it is about Manu, but I adore him. He's another great guy. He has a foundation in Argentina that helps low-income families. You can see some things about in on http://www.manuginobili.com/, but the actual site for the foundation is in Spanish.
Now some people criticize his style of play, but I love it. He draws fouls and charges. He plays it up. (For those of you who may not know, this is referred to as "flopping.") I love it. I was actually disappointed when he only got #6 Greatest Flopper in NBA history. I think he should have been at least in the top 5.
Then there's always Tony Parker who tries to commit suicide at least twice a quarter, and Tim Duncan, who has mastered the I've-never-fouled-anyone-in-my-life face.
So to those of you who think I've jumped on the successful team bandwagon...19 seasons! I was a fan for an entire decade before they even won a title that many think was not actually a title! Sure, I jumped on the David Robinson bandwagon, but I hung on and am still on for the ride.
Go Spurs!

No comments: