Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The New Obsession

We went to PetCo on Sunday to get Trillian a new collar. Al felt the 1-inch wide purple one was weenie and wanted to get her something a little tougher. It cost $20, but we found one we we were both happy with:



But we also ran into a man shopping with his full-grown black Great Dane. It was gorgeous and HUGE. Now I knew that Great Danes were huge, but that knowledge in my head and that knowledge standing next to me are two completely different things. This dog, on all four paws, was almost eye level to me. The top of his head was right about chin level. His shoulders were taller than my waist. I'm 5'7" and I could have used this dog as a small horse. Trillian, surprisingly, didn't back down. They made friends and she spent the rest of the shopping experience trying to play with the gigantic dog.

Al and I have been discussing adopting another dog and it's something we've come to an agreement on. There will be another canine member of our little family. If we had another dog and a pet door, I'd feel much better about leaving them for longer periods of time. But after PetCo, Al is looking at Great Dane Rescue organizations.

(Al is actually talking to his mom, here...I just thought it was a cute picture. Trillian is a total Daddy's Girl!)
I don't think I'm ready for a Great Dane...even if Al agreed to name it Hamlet (because Hamlet was Danish, and a prince...Great Dane...hahaha...Get it?). They come with all sorts of health issues and are known for short life spans. Plus, I think we'd have to replace an entire door with just a pet door.

So my declaration that we are not getting a Great Dane may be famous last words that last forever or famous last words that I'll be eating in a few months (new dog won't be joining our family until the Spring at the earliest.
But on the plus side, I think we've come to the agreement that a Great Dane is a fun idea, but impractical when bringing the idea to reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heh!! :) We'll be watching for pics...though I know it's dangerous for me to go to Petco--I always wind up wanting some type of animal or another! Too fun.