Monday, December 1, 2008

Not a Good Week for Books

Last Wednesday, the UPS guy delivered a package containing two picture books and a hardcover novel. Trillian and Thursday decided it was a chew toy and demolished the box and everything inside. It was only $26 in reading material, but the picture books were supposed to be for my Creative Writing class today, and the ones I reordered don't get here until tomorrow. They spent some time crated for that stunt.

On Thursday, Val returned three books which I put in my trunk. Al and I went through a car wash and apparently, my trunk leaks. His Turkey Bowl clothes were saturated and the books, although protected somewhat, are still water damaged. Fortunately, I'm not too sad about Breaking Dawn because it was coming apart anyway and I don't really think it's that much of a keepsake. I also need a new copy of Bloodsucking Fiends because mine was already toast before the "car wash incident." The GOOD news was that our camera, which was also in the trunk, wasn't even a little bit damp. That would have REALLY sucked.

Then, on Sunday, I was reading American Shaolin at the table and enjoying a glass of water. I left both on the table when I left for brunch and errands and when I came home, the glass of water had spilled all over the book. I guess Bear was thirsty and knocked the glass over while trying to fit his big fat head into it. Seriously, there's a water dish five feet away. That book spent some time in the oven at 200 degrees since I wanted to read it soon.

So what is the universe trying to tell me?

Probably to keep the dogs inside on Friday, when my $100 collector's edition of Tales of Beedle the Bard is due to arrive from Amazon, and to always finish my water.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...that is quite the roughest week for books I've ever encounter (even though it's merely by reading). Car wash...Bear...Drink more water? Quickly? Hope this week is far better.

Matthew Polly said...

doesn't "American Shaolin" come with a waterproof, gore-tex cover. i'll have to talk to the publisher. hope you enjoy the read and your luck gets better.

Matthew Polly

Jill said...

Knowing how much you love your books I'm sure this all made you sad. Wow the collector's edition of the new JK Rowling book, Kenzie will be dying to see it.

Ashley said...

What a rough week!? Hope this next one is better. And just when you had a little more time to read!

Sally F said...

My dad used to say, "You can't have anything nice around kids!" Apparently the same is true of dogs!

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight said...

"STOP READING"... that is what the universe is trying to tell you- don't listen though!!! :) Sorry about all of the damages!