Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Because I'm a bit of a purist...

So yesterday was the day...Mama Mia out on dvd! I found it interesting that I was pretty much the only one in my group of friends who went into the movie already knowing the words to the songs. I realize that ABBA was finishing up their career while I was busy discovering my hands and feet, but I still managed to find my way to ABBA Gold and then beyond.

I've made it a bit of a quest to introduce my ignorant friends to the real deal, because even though the Mama Mia soundtrack is a lot of fun, it's still just a bunch of covers, and there's a lot of ABBA still out there to be discovered. So enjoy some originals (and one you may not have heard before):

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme





Honey, Honey (with some killer choreography!)





Knowing Me, Knowing You


Our Last Summer



Take a Chance on Me



And if you're still a sucker for covers, you just can't beat Erasure. There's a soft spot in my heart for these guys, since during high school, they were my first introduction to ABBA.

Lay All Your Love On Me


Take a Chance on Me


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there, i new most the songs but didnt listen to them regularly like you... and i need to go buy that movie...

Jill said...

I have to admit I love the tracks from the soundtrack. Molly starts dancing everytime we turn it on. Her favorite is "HONEY HONEY" I love this movie. Make sure to bring it over.

Ashley said...

Oh Ang, I know all those songs because I had a cool older sister who listened to them. I remember one afternoon in Texas (the 1st house) listening to "Take a Chance on Me" by Erasure in my room as I used you curlers? Anyways, I LOVED the Honey Honey video. What amazing costumes they wore for their jazz squares. Who on Earth was their choreographer? Then the next video they got a little more creative in Knowing me. I haven't seen the new movie yet. I have been wanting to. Bring it over so we can all watch it together. Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

*sigh* ABBA definitely rules...and I totally know what you mean about Erasure's cover. It's awesome!

FYI...my word verification was "housepea". Where do you think those are grown? What type of shade?

Ashley said...

P.S. The boys think "Super Trooper" is a Star Wars song.

Schatz said...

Oh my!

hey, may I have your address, we're sending out our Christmas cards...please email me it. thx