Sunday, April 5, 2009

Because at 31, my metabolism is slowing down...


Al and I have finished day 9 of the P90X program. Wow! This workout is nuts! You'll need a chin-up bar and hand weights (I use 5, 8, 10, and 15. Al uses 10, 15, 20, and 25), as well as a yoga mat and a willingness to keep going in spite of wanting to die a little. I would just like to say, that I did a whole pull up on my own yesterday. It was just one, but it was start to finish and I haven't done that since somewhere around 4th grade.

I'm sore and I'm loving it. The program is a bit expensive, but it's worth it. You can find it used on Amazon.com, as well, which is cheaper. When put in perspective, though, Al and I spend $50 a month for a couple's membership to the gym. This 3-month program is cheaper than 3 months at the gym! And, we can use it beyond the 3 months!
You do need to keep in mind, though, that this is a strength-building program. Yes, there is cardio, but the purpose of the program is to build muscle, endurance, and strength. You will gain weight before losing. However, muscle uses more calories to maintain itself than fat does, so eventually, the metabolism will start helping you to see weight loss as long as you are consuming fewer calories than you are using each week.
If you're curious: www.beachbody.com/p90x

I'd also like to share with you one of my favorite workout aids. Lady Fitness uses Bender Balls, so that's how I found out about them. When I was at the Gateway recently, I wandered through the sporting goods store and saw them for sale. I love them, so for $20, I grabbed one and brought it home. That's when I noticed that it came with three DVDs. This is totally a great deal. If you're looking to build core strength or develop your abs, I highly recommend this little green goody. The ball itself is only about 7-8 inches in diameter, so it's easy to store. If it's a little flat, it makes the workouts harder. Check it out at www.benderball.com.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Ang,

So great how commited you and AL are to staying in shape. I need to lost about 10lbs. before Joy's wedding in 2 weeks. Going on a cruise did not help me. Sounds like this is an amazing workout. Not ready for that yet, maybe one day.

Anonymous said...

I'm there with you and the slow metabolism. However, I'm trying to amp the mileage on my runs first... :-)

Ashley said...

Ang,
I was actually going to ask you and Al anyways if I could practice on you. I would LOVE to take some for you guys. Thanks for letting me!!! Plus, it sounds like you and Al will be lookin real good!! ;)
I am hoping to get some of mom and dad before they leave too!