Monday, October 27, 2008

Information is Power...Use It

Since when does having an opinion automatically make a person right?

I will be so glad when this election is over.

All the yelling and name calling. All the buttering up and flat out lies. All the bickering between people when they disagree.

What's so wrong with agreeing with something Obama believes? What's wrong with disagreeing with something McCain believes? Well, here in Utah, both appear to be grave sins.

I don't care what scandalous things either VP candidate has allegedly done. I don't need spam mail "informing" me that Obama is a Muslim terrorist (although I did get a laugh of the one that claimed he was a muslin terrorist). I am aware that McCain is old, and I don't care that he accidentally said "agree" when he meant "disagree" when trying to win over the "racist old people" in Western Pennsylvania. I don't think that makes him stupid, just human. (And the look on his face when he realizes his mistake is priceless.)

But worst of all, I am sick of people telling me how to vote when it is obvious that these people are only voting on what they are told by their siblings, parents, friends, professors, church, voices in their heads, etc. Informed discussions are one thing, but I don't know your siblings, parents, friends, or professors, I don't go to your church, and the voices only talk to you, so I'll keep my own opinion and not feel obligated to simply absorb yours. And unless you can actually have an intelligent, well-supported conversation with me about actual issues, I'm going to tune you out.

Both candidates have websites. Both websites have voting records. Forget everything they've said. Take a look at what they've DONE. Being president is about doing, and what they've done in their careers is indicative of what they WILL DO in office.

And please, stop running around touting your opinion as fact, telling me I'm wrong, or telling me I'm right. I'm informed. Join me.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Well, personally, I don't have a favorite... BUT out here EVERYONE and their dog is voting for Obama. I still haven't decided. You would be proud though Ang, I actually have been truly trying to educate myself to make an informed decision. I really like factcheck.org. I also found this Values Voter guide that basically spells out each canidate's positions without being bias. This election has been really exciting for me. I have been really involved. It feels good.

Anonymous said...

I think rather than bringing to light any decent truths; we're always faced with smearing and popularity contests when we should be focused on facts. Elections depress me...merely for the facts: no one answers questions; everyone points fingers; nothing amounts to anything. There are no winners...and besides - the Electoral College decides who is President...right?

Sally F said...

Omigosh, I couldn't agree more! I'm so sick of the closed mindedness and judgement going on!

miss kitti said...

Hi Ang, I hope it's okay that I'm crashing your blog. I so agree with this post and I'm so happy this election is over.