Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Home Improvement

Mom and Dad got new couches. Because they're technologically impaired (and also to show our appreciation for the super-comfy hand-me-down couches), I'm posting some pictures. It was fabulous to sit on these big, soft couches and watch an exciting Superbowl game on the gigantic HDTV.
The couches that used to be downstairs are now upstairs:
Meanwhile, at our house, Al has been doing some improvements. We got rid of the old showerhead in our shower and stepped up to the showerhead I've always wanted. It's also high enough to actually be over Al's head instead of his shoulder.

Al also had a manly moment when he fixed our washing machine last week. It was running, but not agitating or spinning. I looked up some info online and figured out that it was a broken motor coupler. The part itself was only $15, but to get someone out to fix it would cost about $150. The lowest estimate was $75 for the visit, $30 for the part, and then roughly $45 for labor. Al broke the first coupler he tried to put in and had to buy a new one, plus the spark plug pliers to put it in correctly. He also found a chainsaw sharpening attachment for his Dremel that he picked up. Even with the impulse buy and extra part, the repair cost us about $80. He did it while I was at school, otherwise, I would have taken pictures of the washer all taken apart.

2 comments:

Jill said...

First, thanks for posting pics of the new couches at Mom and Dad's house. Looks so comfy!!! Can't wait to try them out. Second, Way to Go Handyman Al. Very impressed!!!

Ashley said...

Well, 1st of all I LOVE the couches! Thanks for posting picks, Ang. I feel a little closer to home. You should probably just randomly post pictures of mom and dad's house and all the family at Sunday dinners and post them. I love it, I won't feel like I missed out as much on the fun. It's funny though, that couch is the exact sectional Dave's parents just got for their big TV room in their basement!! Just different pillows. I would love this couch for my house. I hope to find something like the coffee table/padded foot rest thing for our new place. It's perfect, your kids can't bust their heads open on the corners!